On a low carb diet, healthy fats are like fuel. Superior fuel really! It is like the exclusive jet fuel that propels and allow you to excel, really! Boosting metabolism, establishing stable energy levels and bringing a clarity to the brain.
In my experience, I have seen people having a hard time to "file" fat intake on a LCHF lifestyle properly. I constantly see people eating more protein, less carbs and a bit of fat. It is hard to fathom the role fat needs to play when all we have ever been told is to cut it off, skim it off or throw it away.
f you are an active person, and you need fuel… If you feel like you let your mind wander and it never came back… ;)
If you are following a strict ketogenic diet for health or weight loss purposes…
or if you struggle to juggle a busy lifestyle and eating enough healthy fats during your work day…
…allow me to introduce you to the – sound the "ghong" please – NINJA CHAI TEA! (One of the perks of this job is to name my inventions – simply thrilling)
Let me tell you, I currently sleep around 3 – 4 hours a night and nurse twins, this drink is a great pick – me – up that also helps me to cope better mentally and physically. And yes, I selfishly designed it around my needs and current coffee limitations. Also, we had the sniffles entering our household a week or so ago, so it made sense to combine the germ fighting immune boosting properties of ginger and cinnamon along with the anti – inflammatory properties of coconut oil and the anti – oxidant boost of the rooibos tea. So like our friend Winnie the Pooh always says: "Sharing is caring" and I care about you, my fellow low carbie. So let me share this little gem with you.
It is a meal in minutes and will kick you into fat burning mode before you know it. It is creamy, comforting and lekker local when made with rooibos tea (you could use black tea) and off course the chai spice mix ads just the right amount of foreign whimsy! It is simply divine.
- 4 rooibos teabags (Black teabags will work too)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder or a chunk of fresh peeled ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (Optional)
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 crushed, whole cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Cream (You can use a bit more to taste – but this is the only component that will push up the carbs) stevia powder (optional
1. In a saucepan on high heat, combine the water teabags and spices. Allow to boil for a few minutes before removing from the heat to steep for 5 minutes.
2. Add the healthy fats to your blender and add it to it the slightly cooled down tea mixture through a sieve in order to catch the spice seeds.
Add a knife point of debittered stevia if you would prefer a bit sweeter tea.
Blend for a minute or until all the fats have emulsified and you see a creamy, frothy, rich consistency.
Sprinkle with a bit of mixed spice or ground cinnamon.
Yields 2 servings at about 1 gram of carbs per cup.
Go forth, and share your Ninja powers with the world, and remember to smile and be awesome ok!
Yours in smart fueling,